[Hackable1-user] apt-get upgrade is sweet [was: Re: apt-get update + dist-upgrade recommended?]

Pierre Pronchery ppronchery at bearstech.com
Thu Jan 8 03:04:29 CET 2009

			Dear all,

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:26:05 +0100 Thomas Otterbein
<th.otterbein at gmx.net> wrote:

> quite a few people on this list have mentioned, they have broken
> their installation of h1 by doing a apt-get update && apt-get
> dist-upgrade.

It looks like this works now!

I am still testing the upgrade path, but I had a first successful
report already. I will send another message on this list when it is
truly safe to do so, and of course, a newer revision of the
distribution will then be released as well.

Here is how to proceed. Make sure your /etc/apt/sources.list file
contains this (and only this):

=== BEGIN PASTE ===
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian unstable main
deb http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/debian unstable main
deb http://download.hackable1.org/debian sid main
=== END PASTE ===

Then run as root:
# apt-get update && apt-get install hackable1

You should then be safe to "apt-get upgrade" whenever you wish. The best
thing is that you will then be able to obtain fixes automatically
without re-installing or re-flashing anything.

By the way, if you see this question:
=== BEGIN PASTE ===
Configuration file `/etc/init.d/fso-frameworkd'
 ==> Deleted (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
[...]
=== END PASTE ===
then it is safe to say "I" (yes).

So, in short: this is not fully tested yet, but you are all welcome to
give it a try. Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
--
Pierre Pronchery, Hackable devices R&D, Bearstech
email: ppronchery at bearstech.com         42 boulevard Sébastopol